October 12-14, 2016
Crowne Plaza Dublin, 600 Metro Pl N, Dublin, Ohiomore info >
Better & Safer Living Through Chemistry
Chemists Make Our Lives Better
Everything in the universe is a chemical. The business of chemistry is based upon the ability of chemists to understand and manipulate these chemicals to improve our lives. Research scientists, engineers and chemical operators working in Ohio's chemistry industry are responsible for new chemistries that make possible thousands of products that benefit us all—ranging from modern food and drugs to plastics and computers. Without the benefits of these chemistries, we would not enjoy the standard of living we have today.
Our scientists, engineers and technicians are working hard to keep you and your family safe and secure. From airbags that help protect you in an accident to child safety locks that keep your little ones out of harm's way. Safety glass and other safety features based on advanced chemistries make for safer cars, safer homes and a safer world. Chemistry takes care of you.
Chemistry is the Key to Better Health
Americans are living longer, healthier lives than at any point in history, thanks, in part, to the advances of chemistry. Chemistry helps to ensure an abundance of fresh food and clean drinking water. Chemistry has made breakthroughs in medical technology, new disease-fighting agents and research to monitors trends in health possible.
Just a Few Examples of How Chemistry Helps You Everyday
- Ample supplies of clean, drinkable water are readily available to you, but that has not always been the case. Vital chemistries, including chlorine and other disinfectants, are the tools we use to stop diseases at their sources. For example, highly-infectious, water-borne diseases, such as typhoid, hepatitis A and cholera, once killed thousands of Americans every year—and still are major problems in developing countries around the world. America essentially eliminated these diseases through disinfection of water supplies using products of chemistry.
- Good chemistry makes for healthier, more productive, more enjoyable and longer lives for people.
- Our advanced health care would not be possible without the business of chemistry. Chemists manipulating molecules are the architects of chemistries designed to provide medical devices and supplies, including synthetic latex gloves, sutures, surgical dressings, bandages, splints and therapy whirlpools.
- The modern miracles of medicine are all made possible by chemistry. In fact, American chemistry produces 80% of the materials used to formulate medicines, and last year, the American chemistry industry spent more than $19 billion on pharmaceutical research and development.
- Drug innovations have reduced hospitalization while ameliorating or eliminating a wide range of diseases and infirmities. An analysis at the Columbia Business School indicated that a one-time $15 billion investment in R&D subsequently saves 1.6 million life-years per year.